Friday, August 30, 2013

Homemade Veggie Pizza with Daiya Cheese

Hiya! So, I can't promise when I will be able to post recipes. I hope for once a week, but don't hold me to it! It'll help that I'm going to try to keep it short and concise. Ha! If you know me well, you'll know that's quite a challenge... ; ) Okay! Let's get to it. Recipe Two:


Homemade Veggie Pizza with Daiya Cheese

Unbaked vs. Baked

My life changed when my friend from Colorado posted her family's pizza dough recipe on her blog. Honestly? In the past I've been pretty lazy when it comes to pizza. Frozen. Pre-made crust. Whatever. Not that those are bad options, but homemade is always ALWAYS better. Seriously. And this dough is so awesomely easy, you really can't go wrong. 

Homemade Pizza Crust


Ingredients / Directions:
In a bowl add: 
2 cups 110 degree water 
1/2 Tablespoon sugar and sprinkle over
2 Tablespoons active dry yeast.  
Proof 5 minutes.

Then add:
1 Tablespoon sugar
1 Tablespoon oil
1/2 Tablespoon salt
About 4 cups flour (You can use AP flour or wheat or a combo, whatever you like. You've just got to watch the amounts - don't want to add to much!  I usually add about three cups and stir it in, then knead in more as it's needed to create a soft, but not sticky, dough.)

Knead dough.  Let dough rise in greased bowl, covered with a clean dish towel, for about 20 minutes, till doubled.  Divide into 2 sections.  Roll out on a floured surface to fit your pan.  Place on pizza pan  Cover with tomato sauce (I usually just use jarred, but you could get fancy and make your own), Daiya brand mozzarella cheese, and other desired toppings (I like green peppers, artichoke hearts, and sautéed extra firm tofu, but whatever floats your boat.).  Bake at 400 degrees for about 15-18 minutes, until cheese is bubbly and edges of crust are browned.

Makes enough for 2 large pizzas, but I generally make a half batch and freeze half of the dough before I let it rise. A quarter of this batch is the size of pizza I made that's in the picture. It's enough for 3 meals for me! 


If you've never used Daiya cheese, I highly recommend it! It's available at pretty much any health food store and it comes in 3 flavors: mozzarella, cheddar, and Pepper Jack (which is my favorite). The mozzarella is perfect for pizza. I like all of them better melted than not, but you can see what you like. The shredded is all I've seen so far, but I know they have more products coming out very soon. Give them a try! P.s. I'm not getting paid for this. I wish!! I'm just a fan. : )




No comments:

Post a Comment