Sunday, November 30, 2014

Simple Tofu Scramble

Before I became vegan, on my days off work I would often wake up late, naturally, and then make myself a breakfast burrito with scrambled eggs, cheese, vegetables, and sour cream all wrapped up in a flour tortilla. I don't miss those breakfast burritos, actually, because I've found something I enjoy even more: Tofu Scramble Breakfast Burritos! Really. Eggs were the last thing I "gave up" upon deciding to go vegan, not really on purpose but that's just how it happened. It really seems like a strange thing to eat, though now....

Anywho, a friend on Facebook asked for this recipe and I suppose it was time, although it changes often dependent upon what's in my fridge. I'll give you a general idea, though. :)

Here's a close-up:


And a few other variations. What? I told you I loved a good tofu scramble! ;)



Okay, so since it's pretty much just me eating breakfast everyday, the amount of this scramble are really just for one but it's totally easy to add more to make more. 

The following are just rough estimates, since I don't really measure things in this case. 


Simple Tofu Scramble

1/3 block Extra Firm Tofu, pressed & cubed
1/4 cup bell pepper, chopped into 1/4" pieces
1/4 cup zucchini, chopped
1/4 cup yellow onion, chopped
1 leaf Curly Kale, ripped into pieces
Daiya Cheddar cheese shreds
Tofutti sour cream
1 flour or whole wheat tortilla
Avocado
Salsa
Green tabasco sauce


Since I don't have a fancy tofu press, I usually just pile some books on top of a cutting board to squish the tofu with some folded up paper towels to soak up the liquid. ;) After that, I just cube up the tofu after all the veggies are chopped and toss it in a hot pan with some canola oil and sauté it all until browned and crispy and yummy. Then I sprinkle some Daiya Cheddar cheese shreds and let them melt. While that happens, I like to microwave my tortilla for about 10 seconds so they're nice and foldable. Next it's time to assemble! I spread some Tofutti sour cream on the tortilla itself in the middle, scoop the tofu scramble out of the pan onto the sour cream, and then top with whatever I feel like: salsa, avocado, taco sauce, green tabasco, tempeh bacon, etc. Fold into a burrito and enjoy! 






No comments:

Post a Comment